Friday, April 3, 2009

Help! Police! Murder!

How many of you have encountered something like this:

ZOMG. EYE LIEK... HATE U. UR DED 4 INSULTING MY FANDOM BEETCH.

Well, I have - and to those of you who haven't please tell me your secret. I would like to maintain the kernel of sanity I have left.

To those of you who haven't figured it out, I'm talking about fangirls. Not the normal ones, I will readily admit I have participated in my share of rational fangirling, but the rabid ones.

Ladies (and Gentlemen) take a chill pill. The world is not going to come to an end just because someone does not like your favorite book/movie/video game/fast food restaurant/whatever. All that effort you are wasting freaking out about something that will not matter in 5 years could be put to something much more worthwhile. Get a hobby guys.

Oh, and the same goes for you all over there nodding smugly. I'm talking to you rabid anti-fandom people. You are not helping.

Both extremes just need to take a step back and calm the heck down. No one is accomplishing anything by hurling insults back and forth.

Well, you might be wondering what inspired me to write this entry. Well, earlier today I wandered over to one of the sites that I wanted to get some material for my blog from only to find it had been hacked. Instead of finding the horror stories of violent fans, I found a violently pink page scrawled with nearly incoherent English.

Seriously people... do you honestly think you're making a point? The only thing you did is reaffirm people's opinion that certain members of your fandom are, for lack of a better word...batshit crazy. The sad part is, the majority of fans are simply people who innocently enjoy something. Not people who will hurl acid at people who make the mistake of saying "I do not like (fill in the blank)"

Lets imagine the Dr. Seuss classic "Green Eggs and Ham" from this standpoint.

The words "I do not like them Sam-I-Am would not be followed by more persistent badgering, but by Sam-I-Am pulling out a chainsaw and decapitating that other guy.

Basically, the moral of the entry is don't be a rabid fan and don't provoke the already rabid ones.

Also, hacking does not make you cool. It makes you a criminal. Just don't do it kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment